The Questions You Need Answered From Each School on Your List

questions for college coachesThere are literally hundreds of questions you could ask college coaches. The more you learn about the recruiting process and scholarships, your list of questions grow. Whether you are just getting started with recruiting or have been communicating with coaches for several months, below is a set of basic questions you need to have answers to. These are the questions you should have answers to from every coach or university you are talking to.

Do not feel like you are asking a coach too many questions. By far I would say athletes and families error on the side of asking too few questions to prospective coaches then too many. Despite what you might think, coaches appreciate the questions from recruits. It shows maturity and that a recruit is taking the recruiting process seriously, both things coaches are looking for when recruiting athletes.

Are you planning on offering me a scholarship?

Talking about scholarships is a touchy subject with coaches because you don’t want to sound like that is all you care about. That said it is something that needs to be addressed because it has major financial implications for a family. You want to understand if a school represents a scholarship opportunity or just a walk-on opportunity? Often the only way to get that answer is asking the coach. Here is a blog that will help you know if it is the right time to talk scholarships.

What are the academic requirements for your university?

Just getting the NCAA minimum doesn’t guarantee you acceptance into a university. Coaches know what it takes to get athletes through their admissions office and you need to know what those requirements are. You want to know what your GPA needs to be, what your ACT or SAT scores should be, whether you need to take the SAT 2 and if you are going need anything else in your admissions packet.

When does your/the head coach’s contract expire?

Coaching changes are an unfortunate reality of college sports and extremely disruptive for everyone involved. If a coach recruiting you is approaching the end of their contract or they are at risks of losing their job, that information needs to factor into your decision. You often won’t get a straight forward answer from a coach at risk of losing their job, but you will be able to get a sense of how comfortable a coach is with their job when you ask them this question.

How would you describe your coaching style?

Each coach will have their own philosophy on how to run a program. You want to be sure your personality matches to that of the coaches. If they are high intensity and loud and you like a more cerebral and low key coach, that school isn’t going to be right for you, even if the scholarship package is great. Additionally, if you are used to training a certain way and the coach has a very different training philosophy; it could be a difficult transition. Not all great coaches are great for all athletes and it is your responsibility as a recruit to make sure you find the coach that is right for you.

How are things like playing time and scholarships determined?

Each program has spoken or unspoken rules when it comes to scholarship versus recruited walk-ons and unrecruited walk-ons. I’ve seen programs that treat starting positions or playing time as an open competition. I have also seen coaches that give a bias to their scholarship athletes and the prospect of getting any significant playing time as a walk-on are slim.

When it comes to scholarships, each year they need to be renewed and you need to know what a coach’s policy is on renewing scholarships. Maybe there are a couple of athletes who are more or less guaranteed to get their scholarship or each year is an open competition where you could lose your scholarship to a teammate or incoming freshman.

This certainly not an exhaustive list of things to ask a college coach, but having an answer to all of these questions from the programs you are interested in will make the decision process easier. In addition, showing the ability to have these types of conversations with a coach will increase your value as a recruit.

Is there anything you think I’ve missed? What other things do think you should know about a coach or a program? You can contact me on Twitter or email me directly on Google+.

Posted on by David Frank
This entry was posted in Athletic Scholarships, Communicating with College Coaches. Bookmark the permalink.
Join the #1 RECRUITING NETWORK

11 Responses to The Questions You Need Answered From Each School on Your List

1. E says:

hi, a coach offered to arrange an skype call with him and i was wondering what type of questions will he ask and what type of questions i should ask?

2. JE says:

So I have been talking to a coach and he’s said he likes my tape and that I’m a good player. He asked for my transcript so I provided it, then the coach said I was elegibily to attend there school. Then he asked for my clearinghouse I’d number, I provided my id number.(btw why is this done?) and I was wondering why all of this is done and what will be next a scholarship offer? Or am I far from an offer and these question are normal.

• David Frank says:

The coach needs to make sure you are going to be academically eligible before they can consider offering you a scholarship. They first ask for your transcripts to make sure you can get into their school. Then they ask for your NCAA ID so they can see your test scores and status with the NCAA and make sure you will be eligible there. After that, a scholarship offer could follow. Your best move is to ask the coach what else you need to keep the process moving forward.

Great job this far, make sure and stay in touch with the coach.

• Anonymous says:

Thank you, but I have informed the coach that I am taken the test in January, Weird I guess. And also is it normal for coaches to respond late to my email?

• David Frank says:

Yes, coaches can be very busy and take several weeks to respond to emails. If you need answers sooner, try calling them.

3. ken says:

My son accepted to attend and play for a college with academic money only. Coach said he had no money left to offer, but would consider offering $2500 or more for 2nd 3rd and 4th year . This was all verbal and talked over in office, how do I ask or should I get it in writing , don’t want to ruin it for my son.

• David Frank says:

My word of advice is to never take an opportunity based on the coach saying they will offer you more money in future years. If you are not going to be happy with the current offer for four years, I would be careful in going to that school. Many coaches try to be good on their word to offer more money, but things change every year and there is nothing you can do (written or not) to guarantee you get that offer.

• Anonymous says:

Agreed! Don’t go based on a coaches “word”. They often tell you things just to get you there or end up resigning or getting fired during your time there.
        Example: My son was late in starting the football recruiting process and figuring out how it all worked ( there wasn’t as much info out there 4 yrs ago. as there is now) The position coach at a D-1 school wanted him to walk- on saying there wasn’t any more scholarships available (don’t fall for that line) but that he would eventually get one. Well, after 2 yrs that coach left and the new coach doesn’t care about or play walk-ons so, needless to say, after 4 yrs and 80K in student loans, the scholarship never happened.

4. Anonymous says:

Are there situations in some sports when coaches offer a partial scholarship to freshman and an opportunity to increase it based on performance ?

• David Frank says:

Most sports operate in this manner.Because most scholarships are actually partial scholarships, coaches typically divide them up to get money to more athletes. Each coach is different in how they divide there scholarships. A typical example would be, a coach might give a certain amount for making the team, more if you are a starter, more if you are all conference/region and even more if you make all american. It is a really good discussion to have with a coach who might be offering you a scholarship.